Candesic undertook an impact assessment of the online triage platform ‘eConsult’ across 3 primary care settings: Hedge End Medical Centre, Unity Health York and eHub.
Overall, eConsult has the ability to reduce GP appointment waiting times, reduce ‘Do Not Attend’ rates, improve triage to most appropriate care worker, and deliver home ‘query closure’ via a unique proprietary algorithm; all whilst maintaining positive patient satisfactions rates.
Hedge End key findings following eConsult implementation
• Appointment waiting times remained static, but improved direct triage to most appropriate care setting,
• Increased productivity of GPs, e-consulting with 60 patients per day plus more relevant, targeted consultations,
• Positive patient satisfaction with 84% either satisfied or very satisfied with the service.
Unity Health key findings following eConsult implementation
• GP waiting times fell significantly from 11 working days to 1 day, well below the national average of 13 days,
• Triaging direct to HCA and nurse triage sessions more than tripled,
• GP Do Not Attend (DNA) rates reduced from 7% to 4%,
• Clinical staff felt eConsult has improved their efficiency, but admin staff reportedly less convinced.
eHub key findings following eConsult implementation
• eHub is a group of 14 different practice so waiting time data was inconsistently recorded,
• Across the group eConsult delivered 86% remote closure rate,
• Patient experience of eConsult generally positive (71% either very satisfied or satisfied).